Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Slow & Steady Wins, Right?

Well, some good news to report.

Greg just called, and they're continuing collecting again today. Yesterday they got 0.2 units. That's not great, but its frankly better than either of us expected. Bear with me here, because there's math involved, but I'll try to summarize the situation as best I can.

One million cells equals 1 unit. They ordered 5 units -- enough for two transplants. There's no way we'll get that at this rate. However, for a full transplant, they need 2.5 units. Its probably unlikely we'll get that either (Greg is wondering: "What's with this 'we' s--t?"). Anyway, the grand total of stem cells collected thus far is 1.2 units, including the .9 they got last year. If he can get 1.7 units (just need .5 more), we can do what's called a "mini auto," short for mini autologous stem cell transplant. The way I understand it is, they do the same process, just by giving him less cells (kinda like a mandatory minimum). The drawback is that the risk of complications rises a bit, and recovery may take longer. But, the doc wants to keep going, so he's hooked up again today. Keep your fingers crossed.

Greg is going to try to talk to the nurse coordinator today to see if they think we're still on track for admission next Monday or not. I know a lot of people have rearranged their schedules to take care of the kids & otherwise help out. I'll let you all know just as soon as I do.

I know a lot of people have been trying to reach us by phone the last few days, but its been hard to get back to everyone. Frankly, last night we were both too tired to really talk to anyone. I'll try to return some calls tonight, but I have so little time with the kids each day, its usually after 8:30 before I can really talk. We really do appreciate all your support.

Thanks, too, for all the comments & good wishes. Altho we can't respond to all, we read them, enjoy them & look forward to them. Oh, and someday, when I have a little more energy, I'll tell you all about Debbie getting lost in a thunderstorm in St. L Friday night, and Greg & I "talking" her in on the phone using our map. It was like talking down the space shuttle. I think she went by the Arch about 4 times, & at one point was on her way to Kansas City. This may replace the Great Potato Salad Incident in Family Lore (but probably not).

Thanks again to all. I'll post again when I have more news.

Love,

Greg, Ann, Eric & Matthew

7 comments:

Ian said...

I will pray for at least .5 more then, but does God want me to show my work, or is just arriving at the correct answer enough?

Anonymous said...

Do I need to call my Mom and see if she still has her old wringer washing machine and so you can put Greg literally "through the wringer" to see if we can get more?

Seriously, my thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

GingerJ said...

Hello Greg, Ann, Eric, and Matthew! I have never used a blog before but here goes. Glad to hear that you have getting some enjoyment out of St. Louis. We also love Zia's. I'm sure Zia's food is therapeutic. Let's plan to meet there and celebrate when done with all this medical STUFF. Greg, get busy with those cells. It was a hoot talking with you the other evening. We miss seeing your bright and shining mugs since hockey season ended. You all are in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers. I will chat up the BIG GUY some more. :-) GingerJ

Francis and Cindy said...

Well, according to the math logic used by most of my students, you really have 0.2 units left to go, because you forgot to carry the 1 and to divide by two since there are two equivalents of stem cells in the words "stem cells".

Greg--just remember what you kept saying to Ann when she was in the maternity ward "Push! Push!"

Also, remember if Debbie finds herself crossing that bridge and heading for KC again, send her to my folks' house in St. Charles. Dad could use a new drinking buddy.

All our prayers are headed your way!

Judy said...

I love it when a Plan comes together! And it will~ Greg, you're not even in the middle of the alphabet yet! Personally, I think you need more garlic, yup that's it! MORE garlic.

We know it's not easy but we also know that you can do this with a couple of stem cells tied behind your back!

And as for the Space Shuttle Episode,I need to know if it ranks up there with the pasta salad Debbie is still eating or did she top that?~we put the potato salad to rest last summer Ann, or were you not paying attention again?

Yeah Ian you beat me again but I overall had you this weekend!

Hugs to you guys,
JS

~oh and the SW was here, we get to keep FeiFei, and she smirked a lot at us.......

~and I hate the letter 'test' we have to do when we post to the blog!

The Bobs said...

Hi!
We are so happy things are looking up! (Which is what we were doing (looking up) Friday night as we passed the arch 4 times on our way to the hood....one time I had the kids open their windows (in the pouring rain) and we could actually touch it!)
I do totally agree with the garlic theory....and Greg, you will be happy to know that Aldi sells garlic at a very reasonable price!!
Can't say I saw an Aldi Friday night when I drove 400 miles (mostly in St. Louis)....did you purposely steer me away??!!??

Judy: the potato salad legend (nightmare)is only temporarily at rest....at least my pasta salad was edible.

Greg...we are praying to your Saint
and it seems to be working some...we will try harder...All our love...

Anonymous said...

Hope things continue to go well! We are thinking of you! Hang in there! Keep eating those butter sticks! Its always so halrious reading the blogs! You guys will never loose that sense of humor!

Love ya lots

-Em