Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday Update

Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. We sure need them about now. We're still trying to figure all this out, so bear with us.

Greg went to clinic this morning, and found out yesterday's count. Basically, they were not able to collect ANY stem cells Thursday. That's not good. Typically, the collection begins 12 to 14 days after getting the Cytoxan. They began on day 14. The first day is supposed to net the highest number of cells. But, when has Greg ever done anything according to the protocols?

Greg had a long chat with his nurse-coordinator, and they discussed his entire history. He really never has done anything according to plan. He doesn't respond well to chemo, and he's usually late when he does. For example, his white counts always come back much later than the literature says they should. So, one possible theory is that he's a "late bloomer." Maybe he will release his stem cells later than he should. Based on that possibility, they did not attempt to collect any stem cells today. Instead, they gave him another shot of growth factor, and will do that again Saturday & Sunday. Then, they'll try to collect again on Monday. We won't get the count until Tuesday a.m. Basically, we're in a holding pattern until then. But, I can't underestimate how serious this is. No stem cells means no transplant. At least not this kind of transplant. This is not unheard of, but its not usual, either. Sigh. We haven't really been told what we do if this attempt to collect fails. So, direct lines to the Big Guy Upstairs are definitely warranted. Thanks to all for your love & support.

Matthew and I came up to St. L today and are spending the weekend. Eric had to work, so he's taking his first solo at home. The neighbors will let me know how good the parties are.... Note to Eric: When my parents left me home alone for the weekend, the house was always cleaner when they got home than when they left. (Of course, in this case, that means you have A LOT of work to do!)

We plan to just try to relax & enjoy the weekend, as its all out of our control anyway. My oldest sister, Debbie, (she hates when I call her "oldest") is on her way here from Cudahy tonight with her two youngest girls, Larisa (17) and Kacey (15). Matthew is looking forward to seeing his cousins. They love playing with him. The duplex will be very cozy. Matthew gets to sleep in the kitchen. We plan to go to the zoo tomorrow. Greg continues to feel good, so we'll take that as a positive sign.

Tonight, we went to Zia's restaurant, on the "Hill" per the recommendation of Daniel & Judge England. Judge, you were right, the Chicken Spedini Proscuitto was great! Greg ordered Chicken Parmesean, and had entree envy. Ted Drew's Custard tomorrow.

So, I may not have much to report again until Tuesday. Meanwhile, we really can't thank all of you enough for all your support.

Love,

Us

8 comments:

Judy said...

Hey! There's no post, you can't fool me!

JS

Judy said...

Okay you did fool me and there's a post now.....

Been thinking about you guys all day, although now I have dinner envy, the girls were cranky so I blackmailed them with nuggets at Chez Mac.

Bombarding the man upstairs to help out and he probably will just to get rid of us!

Sombody emailed me this today:

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” –Psalm 34:18

Love ya,
JS, MS, DS, LS and FFS

Lauren said...

Being the oldest sister isn't so bad, we are the cutest and wisest after all! I wish I could have been there this weekend, but I had to work as all college kids love to do. Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend, but I'm sure Matthew is happy he doesn't need to sleep in the kitchen anymore!! Wait till he tells his friends that he had to sleep in the kitchen...they'll think he was being punished for not finishing his dinner. Hope the week goes well!

Anonymous said...

Well, we got home ok....Greg...were you waiting by the phone?...I'm sure Greg will blog (is that a verb?) the Friday night fiasco....we decided to drive up 55 via Chicago and it worked just fine. I am waiting to comment about the weekend until I see what my sista has to say first! Love you all, you are all in our thoughts and prayers and I know somehow this is all going to work out.
DB

Judy said...

Okay, I heard NOTHING about friday night?

Did Debbie the Princess get caught street walking in St. Louis too? Ai yi yi!!!!!!

And Lauren, being the oldest does not necessarily mean the cutest and wisest (look at your mom and think about it). I will settle on being the middle, truly the wisest-and of course the tallest.

Greg, hope you got to see the end of the race, I hear some guy from out of state won....

The next couple of days are not going to be easy while we wait for them to sort you out, but know we are thinking of you 24/7!

Dana is still upset she can't give you her hair after the 'gum fiasco'.

Later~

Me and those Squirrelly Girls

Francis and Cindy said...

We completely agree--Greg is definitely "independent minded"! We refuse to get depressed just yet! Besides, I know Greg will be thrilled to hear that I have him on the "prayer list" here at church--We've got the Folsom Prison deacon praying for him!!

Francis and the girls head for Hong Kong on Wednesday, but I am flying in to St. Louis on the 10th. Hoping you will have some time for me to stop by and say hello!

Anonymous said...

Hello Greg, Ann and boys.....

Seeing I just got laid off from my job of 12 years, now I have time to write. Besides, I couldn't let Ian and Judy have all the air time.

Don't worry about me, my husband bought me a store to manage yesterday. Too bad it is a tire store. What was he thinking? It is only 1 mile away so I can afford the gas but the real question is, can he afford me? A tire store? I asked him, if I bought a flower shop, would he work in it for me? Must be love. Any who, Greg, we are thinking about you and of course wish you our best. I offered once and of course the offer still stands, if I am a match, I will give whatever it takes and if you need any thing else just ask....BUT NOT THAT!

Let's keep this clean for the younger bloggers......Love ya guys!

Shelly..... the much younger trouble maker of 30 years ago. ( I was just a baby)

Judy said...

A tire store? Much Younger trouble maker? Giving away what?

Greg, are you sharing medication with this woman? If so, do you have enough for everybody?

Hey,
We're thinking about you you and the girls said special prayers again-along with a LOT of other people I know. Mark did try and call you tonight but no luck. Got to run, our SW is coming at 8:30am to check out FeiFei's 6 month report. I didn't think SW's got up that early.....

Hugs to all of you,
JS and the gang