Tuesday, June 24, 2008

And On the Third Day, He Rested

Hi to all!

First, to reply to the comments from yesterday: Yes, they made enough cookies. However, they’re all gone. Kim, I’M not sure I can handle you getting domestic all of a sudden! But, I always knew you’d come over from the Dark Side of carry out. We got Cindy H to do it – I always said there’s hope for you. You’re right about the hospital making you crazy. The problem is they won’t give ME any meds! Greg promised to share, though.

Our Patient is doing well. In hospital speak, he is at "Day Minus One," meaning one day prior to transplant. Today is his "Day of Rest," although, as I said earlier its impossible to really rest in here. But, he’s doing his best. So far so good. No real side effects from the chemo, though they’ve promised its coming – mouth sores, fevers, and this horrible intestinal thing called "C-Dif" which is short for "You’re Gonna Want To Die." I’d say more on that later, but, you don’t want to know the gory details. They’re continuing to pump fluids (so of course he had to go on Lasix yesterday), as well as steroids. So, blood sugar has again become an issue. He’s been eating very carefully, and we’ve been taking walks, but the steroids continue throughout the week, so insulin is also on the menu. Yuk.

We’re both going to try to get some work done today, as daytime TV really sucks. I’m trying to go on some sort of outing every day, too, so we don’t BOTH go completely psychotic in here. Yesterday, it was the grocery store. I’m hoping for something a little more exciting today.

Grandma & Auntie Skibby are keeping the boys busy. Yesterday they went to the zoo, and the mall may be on the list for today. At the grocery store yesterday, Eric talked Matthew into asking for Spam. They actually "cooked" some, & he liked it. Someone please call DFS and save my baby!

That’s all to report today. I’m glad we’re boring, because exciting around here usually isn’t good. We hear from the nurses that there are some really ill people on this floor, and I see some really stressed-out families in the halls. So, every day we thank God Greg is doing so well.

Thanks to all for the comments & support. We look forward to them!

Love,
Us

5 comments:

Judy said...

Cool! An update before I go to work! Just getting off the computer anyway as Dana has learned how to kick my butt in cyber pinball......

Glad to hear you're having a good day and I've alerted the prayer chains you guys are on that tomorrow is the first of the big days. Hang in there! We'll add those on your floor to our prayers too.

Sorry but as a person who does not get carry out that often, I'd like to spend some time on the 'dark side'! Kim, don't forget your roots. And I will try to make more cookies for you Ann, but you know what happened to the last batch! YUMMY!!

Since Eric is into Spam these days, I can't wait to make him my famous "Spamtastic Surprise!" He'll love it~he does like jalapeno cheese, pineapple, raisins and yogurt too, right? It's better baked but I can whip it up in the micro for him too...

Hugs to you guys!

The Firm of Schneck, Schneck, Schneck, Schneck and Schneck

Judy said...

Hope you're having a good night and we're still thinking about you!We'll be bombarding the guy upstairs tonight!

Leah had 1/2 of a banana split tonight. Well actually not a whole half, her Daddy got most of it. She saw Spong Bob make one a few weeks ago and just had to try one. Oh, did I mention we went to the Kiltie to get it? Sorry must have forgotten..... and you can't even call the bad word on a public blog!

Anonymous said...

we all thank god we still have greg too!! hang in there guys we are all behind you!

Ian said...

what no wednesday post?? Lazy. It's not like your busy. God bless, and can you guys steal me some rubber gloves. Allright.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to check out the Kirkwood Knittery. I talked to a girl last night at Simply Fibers and she said she went there and they have some really nice yarns. She said the store is kind of small, but worth the trip! That would be a fun outting for today! As you have brought me over from the Dark Side of Domesticity, I am trying to bring you over from the Dark Side of Yarns.

Tell Greg to hang in there. I got infused with steroids this week, too! Watch out for Roid Rage!