Monday, June 30, 2008

Nowhere to go but up!

Good Monday morning to all!

I didn't post this weekend b/c we had company -- Greg's mom, sister, brother & Matthew -- and, medically, not much really happens on the weekends.

It was great seeing Matthew, and we had a great time. Went to eat on the Hill, went to the Science Center & celebrated Grandma Sadie's 83rd birthday. Happy Birthday Grandma! We went to mass at the St. Louis Cathedral & I have to say its one of the most beautiful churches I've ever been in -- & that includes the ones in Vienna & Budapest. Matthew only had to go to the bathroom twice during mass. Eric couldn't make it (he was scheduled to work, then about 2 hours after Skibby & Grandma left Nixa, they called & told him not to come in due to weather), but I talked to him about 6 times over the weekend. I guess the party went well. He swears he got all the kegs cleared out before Grandma & Uncle Tom got home yesterday.

It appears from Greg's white count that he's pretty well bottomed out. They're now giving him shots of Neupagen (sp?), to bring the white counts up. Yesterday was kind of rough, as his mouth sores cropped up, making it harder to eat or drink. The nurse brought him some "magic mouthwash" with maalox & lidocaine (sp?), which helped immensely. But, it made his mouth completely numb & he talked funny for a couple of hours. He's feeling a little better so far today, but I think he's getting a little stir crazy. The only "outings" he gets are laps around the unit, and he has to mask up for those. And, they've only done one "C-Diff" test (which was negative) so we still have to wear the HazMat suits every time we leave the room. He has to have 3 negative tests before they will remove the C-Diff precautions, and, although he's given them numerous opportunities to test, for some reason they haven't sent any more out. This is all because he had it when he was here 4 years ago, even though he's shown no signs of having it now. Sometimes I think the Infectious Disease Department needs more to do. Every time we leave the room, or anyone enters the room, they have to put on a disposable gown (very fashionable!) and rubber gloves. I can go through about a dozen over the course of a day by myself. Greg's "carbon footprint" in here is HUGE. I guess we'll worry about being "green" when we get out of here.

Speaking of "C-Diff" Greg is very excited b/c my brother in law called & said the History Channel is showing "The History of Dung" tonight at 8. You don't want to miss it. Greg is just a little insulted that they didn't call him for an interview. It should be the highlight of our day.

Thanks to all for the comments, prayers, support & all. It means the world to us.

Love,

Greg & Ann

4 comments:

Ian said...

shout out to Michelle Nahon who gave me the heads up about the post..giving me the edge to say "First"----

Stir Crazy? Greg, just know that if I were there, instead of ann, your sentence would probably be 60-87 months, as opposed to four weeks. I kid, I kid. I am sure your missing watching your house float away, or driving around with $4+ gas, or chucky cheese. (see don't you feel better).

And about being green. . .if wearing baby seal slippers, and eating condor eggs would get you home sooner, I'd do it.--yours--

Judy said...

Ian might be first, but he needs help to do it! Hrumph! I can't cheat as even my rotten sister won't tell me when she posts!

I think watching the 'History of Dung' qualifies as 'something green' if you watch it, so put some points in your column if you do. They would have interviewed Greg but the glare from the camera lights off his head was too much for prime time.

Glad to hear you're having a boring day. Get some work done! I can't wait to read Greg's novel. You guys could run a contest and we could all come up with the name! I'm sure some of us could be relatively creative...

Us
-4 days till we see you!

Francis and Cindy said...

Tonight I will be watching the Dung show and, of course, thinking of Greg! Keep up the “counts” and the “negative.”
Francis and Cindy

Kathy said...

Anne, This is the first time I am able to blog you. I just want you to know that ever since Judy told me about Greg, we have kept him in our prayers. I know it is very hard what you guys are going through. God has a plan. Stay strong and follow the old saying....Cast all you cares and fears onto the Lord.
Take care and know alot of people are praying for you guys. Kathy Jendusa