Friday, June 6, 2008

Coming Home -- Need Bananas

That really was the voice mail message I received this morning from my hubby....

When we last left Our Hero, he was at 1.5 units of stem cells. Happy to report that he produced 0.2 more yesterday, so has reached his mandatory minimum of 1.7 (tho we still hope for a few more!) So, they've hooked him up again today, trying for more. But, we have reached the magic number for the transplant. Considering where he was a week ago, this is VERY good news. 2.5 would've been ideal, as its safer, but we'll take what we have. (We'll ask the doctor when we see him the 17th for the specifics about the risks associated with using less than 2.5 units). Still hoping to squeeze out 0.3 more, though. They're going to keep him a little longer today, but his blood counts (reds, whites, plateletes) have started dropping, indicating that he's probably "tapped out." At least for this go-round. Depending on what they collect today, they may just give him 2 weeks of rest before the transplant, or they may rest him a week, then try to collect again. Hard to say at this point.

All week long, as they've been collecting stem cells, they've had to fill him full of IV fluids, to keep him from getting dehyrated. Naturally, now he has too many fluids on board, so they have to give him Lassix (a diuretic, not the eye surgery) to take the fluids off. Hence, the bananas. (They replace the potassium lost through the Lassix). Imagine, Barnes Hospital, one of the top 10 hospitals in the country, is sending him home with a prescription for. . . bananas. Isn't modern medicine fascinating? I'm just so jazzed he gets to come home, I'm planning banana pizza, banana pot roast, banana pancakes, banana fritters, banana's on a stick, banana daquiris, banana gumbo, banana sandwiches, you name it. Send Banana recipes. (Debbie, didn't you write the book on banana recipes?) Actually, the whole banana episode should be over in a day or two, and he probably only needs to eat two or three. Then, he should be normal (whatever that is).

So, here's the new timetable as of 11:30 this a.m.:

We are definitely tentative for admission on June 23. How's that for certainty? I assume they'll call him to let him know what he collects today, but you know what they say when you assume....

In the meantime, I would be remiss if I didn't address some of yesterday's comments.

Ginger, most of what Judy said about the Potato Salad Legend is correct, except, its not a Legend (its true), there was no Empress, she wasn't beautiful, the potato salad did not taste good, the family wasn't mean and ungrateful, and the whining and complaining was certainly justified. Actually, I think the only true thing she said was that the potato salad was unattractive (to say the least). I'll leave it at that -- your imagination can fill in the rest. Needless to say, I'm beginning(?) to think that both of my sisters are delusional (I'm really the only sane one in the family.)

Dave: I certainly thought of you and all the other parents of every goalie on the planet when I watched that replay.

Shelly G: Thanks for the thoughts & good wishes. But, if you take Judy's kids, you have to take my crazy sisters, too. Better yet, just send them, and you bring the cheesecake here.

Obviously, everyone is in a MUCH better mood today than we've been in at least a week. Thanks to all for the prayers, the good wishes, the comments & the laughs. We need a little comic relief now & then. Your love & support means the world to us all.

Love,
Us

P.S. Ian, I'm posting this now, so you'd better get your comment in before Judy. I may not post again for a few days, so this may be your last big chance to tick her off for a while.

P.P.S. The Mister Potato Head was a "mercy trophy." I don't recall eating any potato OR pasta salad last summer.

11 comments:

Ian said...

You know, I was once in a movie titled "Coming Home, Need Bananas." I can't remember the plot.--First!!!!

Ann said...

3:00 p.m. -- Greg just called. As he was getting ready to leave St. L., he turned on the news. I-44 at Six Flags is completely under water. They expect it to subside, but there's another storm cell headed that way. Sigh.

Judy said...

Welcome home Greg !!!!!!!!!!! Woooohoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously you are needed there to make SURE Ann takes the BLUE PILL-you know, the one she needs to keep the voices and flashbacks away? We ALL know how confused she gets....

Remember, I will be un-chaperoned, in YOUR home for a week. I'm thinking that you need to learn to play nice.

AND Ann, remember those pictures?

Greg,
You did a good job this week, take the weekend off and enjoy your bananas with saurkraut!

JS, MS, DS, LS & FFS
~and be careful of what you invite Shelly G. for... she needs the Blue Pills too! :0)

Oh~ have a nice weekend Ian!

The Bobs said...

The only good banana recipe I have is "bananas ala garlique". Greg: You can get bananas AND garlic at Aldi!
And get out the grill...how about bananas in a hot dog bun...with peanut butter!?!
Anyway...glad for all the good news

Does anyone one still have that picture of Judy's potato salad?....the one that most closely resembled a pile of concrete rubble?!?

Love,
db

Francis and Cindy said...

Oh come on, folks--The man needs fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. After all, the king is about to leave the (hospital) building!!

Judy said...

Francis and Cindy! You are correct, and I am embarassed that I did't think of that~good job!

But then as dessert, should he have banana popsicles?

Francis and Cindy said...

In order to attract the attention of the big guy upstairs, we tried saying prayers in Chinese this morning in Hong Kong. After we did the translation of “Greg Skibinski,” it starts sound like banana in Chinese! Really!
Francis

Judy said...

Okay Francis, you have GOT to post it as best you can phonetically!! I'm dying to know now.

Hope you are having a great time, say Hi to Victoria Peak for us and watch the poultry!

Anybody not in WI reading this, if you've got plans for an ark, send them our way~ we seem to need them around here this weekend. Maybe Ann and Greg will let us move in!

Hope you guys ar having a good weekend..

JS, MS And the Little Mermaids

Andy said...

We got 5-7 inches of rain in the last 24 hrs. Lynn and I were up at the Tornado magnet the last 3 days. When it wasn't raining it was raining harder. Put 425 miles on the truck fished for 30 minutes. Caught fish for zero minutes. Do the math. It was so much better than a good day at work.........

Greg, of course we are happy that they got (barely) enough stem cells. We think about you all the time and pray......

I'd like to say something really smart right now to give you inspiration but unfortunately (as a conservative) I'm not even "The Decider".........

So I'll just be Quiet.

Fight on Brother!

Andy said...

Andy Jr. is on an Aircraft Carrier now. He is cruising the Pacific ocean on a training cruise. He is on the USS John Stennis.

http://www.cvn74.navy.mil/home.html

He is one of 220 people that will see the flight deck.

The following is an e-mail that I got from Meredith (his honey). She sent this to us to let us know how it was going with him.

Hola Heres a chunk of e-mail that andy wrote me to tell you. Have a great day!

Yesterday I got a bit of seasickness. and today as well because the seas are rough.. Im not sure of the swells but its rough. We loaded live missiles yesterday, you can tell my dad that we loaded a ATM 7 and 9mike and 9x sidewinder missiles Air training missileATM is an acronym, im not sure what it means but anywho I hope you get this soon, its 1530 here so its 1730 there. It was pretty hectic yesterday but it was cool, after everything we got to watch the missiles hit a ITALD and a parachute flare. Also inform my dad of these two things because he thinks its cool. An TALD is launched from an aircraft with a rocket motor and it basically sends off a radar signal saying Im a f18 and the missiles shoot at it. . I got to sleep in today..so I stayed up a little later last night.. I went to the gym and Im sore. I got to work at 9 this mornign and had to go upstairs for firefighting drills and all this other shit because of the USS Washington had a big fire I guess. I gotta go.

Greg, Andy says that you are always in his heart and thoughts........

Anonymous said...

Ann & Greg - Whoo HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

JS - Just for the record, no blue pills...just half of the purple ones.....

So happy for you guys!!

SG