Monday, June 22, 2009

Weekend Update

OK, here's the scoop.

Greg got his first batch of HLA matched platelets on Friday afternoon/evening and his platelets dropped from 6 to 4. Not good. Then, he got another batch and they dropped to 3. Remember, these were the "special" ones they searched high and low for. Doc comes in & says "These things take time." I haven't mentioned yet how much I dislike this guy. He's kind of "old school" in that, he swoops in, pats you on the shoulder, mumbles something like, "Everything will be OK" and leaves. He gets annoyed if you ask too many questions. We kind of freaked, and Greg actually asked if this could mean the donor cells aren't grafting. His other numbers were dropping, too. Doc says he doesn't know, then, he's gone.

Needless to say, Greg was NOT discharged on Saturday, as expected. So, late Saturday, they try again. This time, everything goes well, and he jumps to 37 and stays above 20 (the magic platelet number) for 2 days or so. That's good news.

Yesterday, the attending (the one I don't like) says Greg may be able to be discharged today. Today, the internist comes in & says he's not going anywhere for a while, because he's still too unstable. A few hours later, the attending (who's driving the bus) says Greg will be discharged this afternoon. Greg is NOT comfortable with this, but if they say go, he goes.

So, when I talked to him about 2-ish, he was packing, but hadn't gotten the official word yet. I haven't heard from him since then. We don't even know if the "halfway house" has a bed, anyway. The bottom line: Greg may be in the hospital, he may not. As usual, no one knows what's going on.

As I posted earlier, I'm home and back at work. Matthew was REALLY glad to see me. Judy left Saturday and on Sunday, Eric drove the van up to St. L and I drove the car with Matthew, and we had a short visit with Greg. They boys were really glad to see him, as he was to see them. It was a nice visit, but too short (about 3 hours was all we got). At least Greg has transportation now, if he needs it. I plan to go up this weekend. Hopefully, he'll be out and able to stay with us.

That's all the news for now. I'll post later when they change their minds again.

Love,

Greg & Ann

4 comments:

Judy said...

Geez, the docs sound a lot like me when I'm trying to make up my mind on which cheesecake I need to order and the waitress has no idea of what they serve!

Glad to hear the counts are up. We've been worried!

Us

Todd and Lori said...

Ann, Had no idea you guys were going through this - we will be praying for you. Let us know if you need anything at all, be glad to help out around the house.

Lori and Todd

Francis said...

I hope that Hope Lodge will have a room for Greg that has a better view than the courtyard view from the hospital 6th floor. As to the bus driver, I guess he follows the rule that he is not supposed to talk with the passengers while he is driving! Keep it UP Greg!

Ann said...

He's still in the hospital. His platelets were 7 last night, but he got 2 units. The first one dropped him to 6. No word on the labs after the second unit.

I spoke to him this morning. He's feeling OK. He promised to call as soon as he knows anything, and I'll try to update then.