Wednesday, June 3, 2009

All's Well (for the most part)

Sorry about no post yesterday. Greg was feeling fine, we decided to take the day off and I had my big outing to Wal-Mart. (If I don't go out to buy underwear, the whole economy of St. Louis falls apart!).

The comments were great. Kim, I loved your name suggestion, but if Greg adopts it, it will have to be plain Ula. I can't remember the rest. That's longer than my last dog's name (Magnolia Culpepper Koszuth Skibinski -- now THAT'S a mouthful. Or, at least, ethnically schizophrenic!). Nancy, Greg says, "How do you know you misunderstood the context?" He says he has very perky stem cells now. (Its been a long time since I've seen "Austin Powers.") Garlicy creamed corn? Remind me to be busy the next time either you or Ginger invite me over for dinner.

We had an extremely uneventful day. Then, I opened my big mouth and now we're wearing the HazMat suits again. Loyal readers will remember that they measure EVERTHING that comes in & goes out. Last evening Greg had something that needed to be "measured" in the bathroom. I asked the nurse if it needed to be sent off for a culture (you need three negatives to be cleared from C-Diff). So, she checked the computer and saw that he's had his 3 C-Diff tests, all negative, but that he tested positive for VRE two days ago, and no one caught it. VRE = Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus, which I heard on CNN has recently filed for bankruptcy, but will be receiving TARP funds later in the week. Vancomycin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic they hang regularly around here. They've given it for every infection he's had EVER, including the fevers he had when he got here this time. They gave me a pamphlet that "explains" it, but, like all the other written info I get from them, it was written by a 3rd grader for a 3rd grader. The new attending, Dr. Casshion, (DP's replacement) comes in the mornings (she does not have fangs and has a reflection in the mirror) and I plan to ask her. However, in the meantime, all visitors and staff must wear the bright yellow plastic HazMat suits & gloves. (It matches Shirley's wig perfectly!). Since I spend the majority of my time in the room, I have to wear it whenever I leave -- to go to the bathroom, the pantry, family lounge, a walk, etc. Its quite fashionable and warm. While VRE is no threat to a healthy person (we all have Enterococcus floating around inside us -- even YOU Ian) its a real threat to immune-compromised people. I could inadvertently spread it to them in the common areas of the floor. From what I've read so far, he's on these precautions for the duration of his stay. Even if he tests negative later. Sigh.

Today we're going to ask about what side effects and problems to expect over the next few days. Greg's feeling pretty good this morning, but we know once his counts bottom out, he'll have some issues. Also, he must show some signs of GVHD (Graft Versus Host Disease), but not too many signs, to indicate that the cells are grafting and everything is going OK. More on that later.

On a personal note, Matthew is really having a hard time with this separation. He's having an average of 2 melt-downs a day. Poor kid. I know its very scary for him, but I also know he's a bit of a drama king. I talk to him, he melts down, then I melt down, then Greg melts down. We're developing a pattern here. Last night he told me Grandma and Auntie Skibby made him eat raw chicken & wouldn't give him anything else! They were starving him! (I suspect that's the drama king side of him). Turns out they had the audacity to make him exactly what he asked for for dinner (grilled, not raw, chicken!) They also took him swimming to "Eric's pool" (the Nixa Community Center where he lifeguards), and baked cookies. What meanies! Today he goes to play with Emma, so hopefully, the diversion will do him good.

That's all for now. I'll post more when something happens. Just remember, no news pretty much means no news. Thanks for all the comments, concern, prayers, Karma, finger-crossing, offerings to Budda, etc.

Love,

US

7 comments:

Judy said...

I've been trying in vain to think up fasion accesories for the yellow hazmat suits and the only thing I can come up with that might look good in my mind are those fake glasses with the noses and 'stashes. Tell me what you think and I can mail some to you...

I'm hoping when we come down that Mattthew will have a nice distraction with his cousins and will be able to fight with somebody his own age. We know this is so hard on both boys, but harder when you're 5....

Take care, hugs and prayers still floating your way and let me know about the glasses thing!

JS and the gang

Judy said...

Written for a third grader??? Tom or would be happy to translate.
Silly Lawyer
ms

Anonymous said...

The fashionistas say that if you only buy one thing this year--it must be yellow. So, it is all good! Ok, so no garlic creamed corn for you--I have a great recipe for brussel sprouts with grapes in beer. Grammy and Great Aunt Barbara's Michigan prayer brigade are in full force for you guys. Even the Big Guy in the Sky listens to Grammy. :-) Still hangin out with ya in our thoughts and prayers. Ginger, David, and Sam

Sally Helwig said...

If Greg is smelling like garlic it is no wonder the vampire doesn't spend any time with him!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Greg & Ann,
Joe Brew.. and family say "HI" and hang in there. I was JUST given the blog site and honestly have never blogged before so you both can count yourselves lucky that I have chosen to sit my gluteus maximus in front of a computer when I am not at work to write you. Anyway.... You have been in all of our thoughts/prayers and I think of you often. Was never sure how to get a hold of you, and now I know. Fight the good fight and stay strong!!! the world is need of good polocks like you.
Joe Brewster

Anonymous said...

Fogot to tell you.... YELLOW IS in this season on the runway in N.Y. I wear a 2XL if they have extra!
Joe B.

Anonymous said...

Do they have Matthew-sized HazMats? He'll think its Halloween again if he has to wear one of those! Thanks for keeping us updated. Lots of good wishes and prayers are headed your way.

The Dennis Family