Thursday, June 18, 2009

Platelets are Still an Issue

OK, here's the scoop. They've given him a total of 3 units of platelets since I last posted, and he's got a grand total of 3 platelets. In other words, they've gone down. So, we had a minor panic attack last night, until the nurse came in and peeled us off the ceiling. Seems lots of people here have that issue, and no one's got their undies in a wad over it, so we calmed down. The plan is to find an HLA match, which the blood bank is working on now. It can take a few days or up to a week. He had nosebleeds last night again, but not as bad. They assure us they can manage those. Andy, based on what you've told me about being called to donate platelets frequently, I'm betting that you're and HLA match for someone in your area. (Just don't ask me what HLA is or any technical questions about how it works -- I have no idea). Once they get it all figured out & find a local donor, he should hold the platelets better, and should be able to get out of here. He has to be able to stay at 20 + before they'll discharge him, so he has a ways to go.

Also, Andy you asked a very good question about his white cells being the attackers. However, I have no idea what the answer is. But his ANC was through the roof last night. In 24 hours he went from 1020 to 2366 -- well over the magic number of 1500. But for the platelet issue, he would be discharged today or tomorrow. They gave him growth factor again today, but I don't know how much longer he'll get that. Greg says that number is good enough to go to a pizza buffet along with a bus full of school kids.

I'm planning on heading home today or tomorrow, as Greg is pretty stable and Matthew is not. He needs mom. So, Daniel, if all goes well, the entire office doesn't need to come in Monday. I'll handle it. Just have Kim set fire to my in box before she leaves Friday.

That's all the news for now. I'll post again when I know more.

Thanks for everything!

Love,

Us

4 comments:

Judy said...

So glad that they peeled you off the ceiling again, you guys both look pretty stupid when that happens, drooling all over people when they walk in the door....

I figured out that Matthew has been hauling livestock in the van as a side job since you left. I spent $432.97 vacuming it out, .75 at a time, today and you are no longer allowed to use the Nixa Do It Yourself Wash.

We are trying to go swimming at Eric's pool but are WAY behind.

Matthew is happy you're coming home whenever you get here. I think he thinks I'm a ogre (sp?) as I actually made him eat what he took out of the pantry.

Greg, there has to be a platelet prayer out there somewhere, we'll see what we can do!

JS

Anonymous said...

Note to self: before leaving Friday, water Ann's plants and set fire to Ann's in basket - got it!

HLA: He Likes Anchovies? No, wait, He Loves Ann - that's it!

Actually HLA is: Human Leukocyte Antigens - are protiens - or markers - found in most cells of you body. They are used by your immune sytem to tell which cells belong in your body and which don't - ah, what did we do before Google?

Kim

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't this blog site have spell check?

Kim

(I R a Legul Sekitaree!)

Joan & Ivan said...

We've sent blogs to you over and over and I'm fired! We can't get through but Ivan stays in touch daily
Joan & Ivan