Friday, July 11, 2008

Time Off for Good Behavior

HOME!



Went to see Dr. Vij (the regular oncologist) this morning. He looked at us & said, "Were you planning on heading home today?" Greg said, "I don't know, I thought you were driving this bus." He said Greg looks great, both in person (but we already knew that) & on paper. His labs look good, altho everything is still a little low but that's to be expected. We're at the treatment center now awaiting platelets & then we're DONE. He'll have labs drawn next week in Springfield to make sure he doesn't need anything, & then we come back here for an appointment in two weeks. He'll need plateletsupport for a while yet, plus may need other stuff from time to time. But, it'll all be outpatient & he'll be home. He'll still need plenty of rest & recovery time before he's ready to show up at training camp to vie for Brett's position.



We decided to tempt fate last night and got a good start on our packing, so once we get out of here, it won't take us long to get on the road. However, it could be a bit of a wait for the blood bank to send up the platelets, as sometimes they don't have any and have to "send out" for them. We hope to be home in our own bed (!) by 8 or 9 tonight.



We called the boys to tell them & although Matthew says he'll be happy to see us, his first response to the news was, "But, we're going to Nakato tonight!" I assured him he'll still get to go, & all was right with the world. He must be having a good time with the Altoonians, though, as evidenced by that response.



I don't know if this is The End of the Blog, but I won't be posting daily anymore. Thanks once again to everyone for reading this, supporting us & helping us get through this with so little difficulty. I know I'm going to forget someone, but I'll take a stab at naming a few: Eric, for your brotherly love; Matthew, for being a "good boy" while we were gone (he says he was!); Grandma Sadie, Uncle Tom, Auntie Skibby & the whole Altoonian family for taking such great care of the boys; Francis & Cindy, Judy, Debbie, Tammy, Ian, Kim, Emily & all the other regular & semi-regular posters who helped us keep our sense of humor; Mark, for visiting & keeping Greg company for a weekend; Deb & Skibby (again) for the medical advice & support; everyone at my office for covering for me while I was gone; and to all the silent readers who may not have posted, but whose prayers, love & support mean so much to us. I know I've probably forgotten someone, but believe me, its not intentional. We couldn't have gotten through this without all of you!



Thanks to all!



Love,


Greg & Ann

3 comments:

Judy said...

What will I do with myself if this is your last blog?

Will I be able to go on by not checking this site everyday?

Will I ever be able to get over not getting any good Italian food in St. Louis?

Will I ever not be able to gloat about beating Ian to the blog all the time?

Will I ever meet Ian?

Will Francis be still kept abreast of bone cutting journalism like "The History of Dung"?

These questions and more may never be answered but I guess it's for the best....

Congratulations!

JS

-and I called Eric to get the girls out of the house, the broken heirlooms replaced and the bar replenished! What's an Auntie for!

Francis and Cindy said...

Home sweet home! Ann, thank you for keeping us informed about Greg’s progress through the blog. Newsweek reports (06/30/2008, p.13) “(Blog) is an exercise in exhibitionism…a blog is medicine.” We don’t know much about the exhibitionism part (Greg, any expert input?), but we know it has been a great medicine for us.

If we were still living in Springfield, we would throw you a hero home coming party. Well, we are sure the good people in Nixa and Springfield have lined up to do that already. Take care of yourself and keep up with the good behaviors.

Cindy and Francis

p.s. Will we ever get the chance to meet Judy, Mark, and the girl gang?!

Judy said...

Cindy and Francis,

I think A & G should throw a huge party when Greg is back up to cooking and invite us all! I know they have a lot of room and seeing as we are all from out of town, I'm sure staying there will be no problem!

I'd love to meet you guys face to face too! (or do you think they are keeping us separated for a reason?)

Judy, Mark and the girl gang!