Monday, July 7, 2008

Definitely Maybe Kinda Sorta, We Think

The ANC continues to go up & up! When we last left Our Hero, it was Independence Day & his ANC was up from zero to 52 (1500 is the goal). On 7/5 it was 192, and last night it was 585. He feels TONS better, and slowly but surely, the water is coming off. Part of the problem with the fluids is that when they give him Lassix to take fluid off, it also takes off electrolytes. So, in order to replace the electrolytes, they have to give him more fluid. Its a vicious cycle.



As of late yesterday, he was still running low-grade fever, but that broke last night & his body temp is finally feeling normal. He's no longer sitting in bed or the chair bundled up like its December & the furnace isn't working. Lets hope that holds.



So, what does all this mean? Good question. Yesterday, the floor oncologist came in & said, "You're looking pretty good. Tomorrow we'll take out your central line & get you out of here possibly by Tuesday." Needless to say, we were filled with guarded enthusiasm. This morning, the nurse comes in & asks why he's getting his line out. Greg tells her what the oncologist said & she's VERY surprised. The resident comes in & tells us that order was for someone else (you mean they wrote someone else's order in his chart? yeah, right). Anyway, he says the line ISN'T coming out today & there's no timeline for discharge. Then, he comes back in 2 hours later & says the line IS coming out sometime today. We just don't know when. And, he gives a tentative discharge date of Wednesday. That doesn't mean he gets to come home to Nixa, but we both get to stay at the summer house for about a week. They'll set him up with an appointment with our regular oncologist after discharge, and then he'll likely get to go home home after that. Just don't exactly know when that will be -- could be Friday, could be sometime next week. An hour later, the oncologist comes back & says the line comes out today or tomorrow, & discharge is tentative for Wednesday or Thursday. Sigh. I think I knew more when I didn't know anything.



So, that's as definitely maybe as I can be. In other words, we don't know anything (so, what else is new?). I'll keep posting as they keep changing their minds. Remember, nothing around here ever is definite. (Its now 1:30 -- I've revised this thing 3 times since I started writing it this morning!)



All in all, though, spirits are up, fluid retention is down & Our Hero is getting restless. That's a good sign. When he was feeling crappy (pun intended), he was really compliant. Too scary! He's getting just a little bit little ornery again, which makes me feel all is right with the world.



Thanks to all!

Love.

Us

6 comments:

Judy said...

Sure good news for you guys, but what about ME? At this rate I will NEVER get any of the 'so-called' Italian food that St. Louis is supposedly famous for!

JS

Judy said...

I had a great weekend with Doctor Skibinsky. We solved most of the worlds problems, look for peace in the Middle East soon. I did think it odd that you could go no where without knowing the Cubs were in town playing the Cardinals for 1st place, but I didn't know Obama was also in town.
ms

Unknown said...

Hi, guys!

Long-time listener, first-time caller. Great blog, Ann, but it's all "Greg, Greg, Greg ..."; you should punch it up with some editorials, cartoons, and election coverage.

I know we've been out of touch for a while. It's easy to happen with kids in different schools, not going to the same church, and Greg and I on opposite ends of campus. But I'll shoulder the blame for that. You guys have plenty to keep you busy, and I'm lousy at keeping in touch anyway (just ask my Mom). But you should know that you're at the top of my list of Fun People We Should Spend More Time With. (You were tied with the Connors for first place, but your facile use of colorful language and fully-stocked wet bar pushed you over the top.) In fact, a few weeks ago I was thinking of inviting myself over for a margarita and have you rearrange the furniture but pretend you didn't. (I also wanted to ask Greg what really happened at MSU -- I still don't know -- but we can save that for another time, unless his blood pressure gets too low). But then George dropped by my office on the way to some computer training, let me know what's going on, and pointed me to the blog.

Ann, I know it must be tough for you being right there in the fray with Greg, but I have the luxury of reading the blog with some distance, and taken as a whole, the overall trend seems very positive. I'm optimistic.

Once you get back to Nixa, feel free to call if you need anything. We now have three drivers and three cars, so there will almost always be someone free.

All the best,
Eric & the Shades

Anonymous said...

Howdy..

This is my first official comment on the blog. I have had many that just haven't made it online. :) I know that I am behind a few days BUT… I gotta know about the pony. My boy gets a “crocheted” pony? That rocks!

Seriously-- I love all this good news that we are hearing. It is fantastic. Keep up the good work Greg! We are thinking of you guys everyday and wish you all the best.

Love ya,

Jerry, Cindy and the kid (aka “Roscoe the fetus”) :)

Francis and Cindy said...

Sounds like the docs have been studying Mel Brooks’ Theory of Yes or No http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALznnLdfQq0. While you are waiting for the docs to make up their minds, you may enjoy this classic Dick Van Dyke’s Who Owes Who What http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrqQPeXYcaE&feature=related.
Anyhow, keep up with that ANC.
Cindy and Francis

Judy said...

Eric and the Shades? Isn't that a rockband from the late 70's?

;-)