Friday, July 3, 2009

Update

Its Friday night and I'm home for the weekend. Skibby and Sadie are in St. Louis with Greg. I got home about 4.

Our Hero is doing OK. He got off the oxygen today, and they're talking about moving him off of ICU, subject to (as usual) bed availability. (Seems like our lives for past 6 months have revolved around waiting for a bed at Barnes.) But, he's really weak, and still a wee bit confused. I don't blame him. I found ICU disorienting, and I got to leave every once in a while. They say there's a condition called ICU psychosis, and I believe it. I was only gone about an hour, on the road home, and my mind cleared and I was able to think much better. Greg is also eating some, but its hard. The tray they sent up yesterday was inedible. "Chopped steak" they had the nerve to call it. Looked (and tasted) like something Eric hits around on the driveway with his hockey sticks.

The exhaustion is setting in, so I'll make this short. I'll get more details to you over the weekend. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to make sure Greg has someone with him at all times in St. Louis, still go to work, and make sure Matthew doesn't completely lose it. I called the duplex lady from last summer today, but she doesn't have any openings in the near future. I got on her list.

Thanks to all, again, but especially to Eric and to Kris. The two of you worked out a great system to keep Matthew fairly happy, and keep things running smoothly. I don't know how I'd get through this all if Eric wasn't such a super kid. I'd like to take all the credit, but we pretty much got him that way. Well, maybe we contributed a little....

I'm off to try to get some sleep (none last night -- Greg had a rough night). More tomorrow.

AK

6 comments:

Francis said...

Ann, It certainly is not easy. ICU psychosis symptoms are normal reactions until you start talking to someone who is not there. As long as you are not thinking you are talking to that blonde hair cleaning lady from the 4th floor, you are alright. Get some rest, check on you two wonderful kids, and leave the praying for us to do. Gotta go, the hotline to the Big Guy just opens up…

Todd and Lori said...

Ann, Glad you made it home safe. Praying for you and the kids. Hope you have a restful 4th.

lori

Anonymous said...

Ann,

Deb and I would be glad to stay with Greg (if he is willing!) early next Saturday and Sunday (July 11-12), or the next Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday afternoon (July 17, 18,19).

Or, if you need some help with Matthew, just give us a call (417-861-6854),

hang in there, Susan and Deb

Judy said...

Deb and Sue~ don't think we've met but THANKS for the offer. That's kinda what they really need right now. Volunteers to stay with Greg, especially when he gets out again as the halfway house will NOT let him stay alone again. And anybody else out there with a few days/a week to help out staying with greg it would be appreciated for sure! I know Ann is kind of hesitant to put out a direct request for help like that but I will! (she's been mad at me before! LOL!)

Thanks again!

Happy 4th of July Greg, hope you're feeling better!

Judy

Debbie and Girls said...

Hi

We miss you all. We are glad you are on the way back up. I know the set backs are miserably dissapointing, but it will be worth the wait when you are (soon!) at the top.

I know you must feel like someone's science fair project sometimes.....but sorry...being a microbiologist I must ask....do you know what the positive blood culture was?

Oh, and if you are unhappy with the hospital food, we can send our old shoes.

TTYL.....Love, Debbie and girls

Joan & Ivan said...

Ann,

Ivan is going to St. Louis within the next couple of weeks for a visit with some of his family. He'll be coming in to see Greg. We'll let you know when he'll be there.

Thank you for keeping us informed. We're not far from the boys in the event they want some help. Sounds as if Eric is quite the young man.

Try to get some sleep, care for Greg, keep up to date at the office, continue being the great mother you are, and don't forget to dust the house! You're a wonder woman. Try to maintain your sanity in an insane situation.

Joan & Ivan