Thursday, July 2, 2009

Baby Steps?

Well, right after I posted yesterday, they came in and said they don't think its pneumonia per se, but rather congestive heart failure -- that's why he's got the fluid on his lungs. Then, this morning they said that his blood cultures came back positive . So, once again, I'm not sure what's really going on. And evidently, neither are they. This means he has an infection of some sort, although they don't exactly know what kind. It can take a few days to grow enough to find out. But, with all the antibiotics they're giving him, he's pretty well covered for everything. They're also putting him on another antibiotic, and a low sodium diet. He's thrilled.



Greg is still in ICU, but seems a little better today. Most of the confusion is gone, and he appears a little stronger. They're going to let him try sitting in a chair later today. We just have to wait until there are enough people free to help, to guard against a fall. He's still pretty weak, and even needs help rolling over in the bed. His platelets continue to be an issue. He was at 12 yesterday, and after they transfused him, he was at 8. This is turning into a pattern. One transfusion puts him up, the next makes him drop. I haven't seen the BMT folks yet today to ask how significant this is, but they told us all along the platelets are the last to come back, and that one of the major reasons he has to hang around town after discharge is because he'll need platelet support for a long time. Dr. Vij stopped by briefly yesterday. He said that this is not GVHD, that the rash is from low platelets. (The little blood vessels close to the surface rupture).

I don't think we're looking at discharge anytime soon. (Greg disagrees. He wants to go home now!). I'm trying to make decisions, but its hard. Skibby is coming tomorrow to stay with Greg so I can go home for the weekend and regroup. I'll be glad to see the boys and get some sleep. I think I've slept about a total of 6 hours since I got here. In other words, everything is normal in that department.

Since I started writing this, they got him up and into a chair. He's eating his pudding (yum!) and feeling pretty good. Its progress, anyway.

Thanks again to all for everything. Keep those prayers coming!

Love,

Ann

P.S. Pam: thanks for the offer. I just don't know what I'm doing yet. I'll let you know. Is there a parade and breakfast Sat. a.m. in the neighborhood? Eric says he hasn't seen anything, so we're not sure if we should decorate Matthew's bike? (and helmet?)

4 comments:

Francis said...

Baby steps are good steps. Greg, keep it going and going and going… here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fILdYrxnrf8&feature=related

Pam said...

Hey Ann,

Thanks for updating us...I'm sorry, I know it must be so difficult. Hoping that you get a bit of sleep BEFORE your trek back this way!

Sad to say that there is no parade tomorrow (I didn't get my red white and blue ducks in a row and neither did anyone else) and of all the years to not have one since the temps have cooled it will probably be the perfect day for a parade! :(

I'll try to give Eric a call and see if the boys need anything.

Prayers said for both of you.

Pam

marilyn said...

Hi Ann,
You don't know me, but I'm a friend of Judy's. I've been following your progress for months and just caught up again tonight. Please know you are in our thoughts and we hope the baby steps continue and Greg can get out of there soon. We'll be honoring him at our local Relay for Life here in Los Angeles next weekend. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Judy said...

Hi Marilyn and thanks for dropping in. Yourprayers mean a lot!

A & G,

Hope today is better than yesterday and tomorrow better than that!

Hugs, talk to you soon!,

The girls send special hugs too!