Saturday, March 14, 2009

We Have A Diagnosis

Dr. DiPersio (who is the hospital equivalent of Dr. Vij) just left a little while ago. We have a diagnosis that he’s pretty sure of, and we’re not too thrilled with.

His theory (and, as he told us several times, he knows everything) is that this is not an infection at all. He believes that this is either the Myeloma running rampant (unlikely) or the MDS (much more likely). Either would cause persistent fevers. If it’s the MDS, its also very likely this has progressed to Leukemia. We knew this day was coming – we just didn’t think it would come so quickly.

Needless to say, Greg is probably in very serious trouble.

Here’s the plan for now: He’s off the antibiotics. They added a steroid (for the fever), and on Monday (due to pharmacy issues), he’ll start Revlimid, a newer drug to treat the cancer. Along with Revlimid, he gets a baby aspirin, because, even with low plateletes, there’s a significant chance of blood clots. Revlimid is a close cousin of Thalomid (or thalidomide), which he’s had in the past and failed on. Only 30 percent of people who failed on Thalomid have success with Revlimid. Not very good odds, but its all we’ve got. He will get a bone marrow biopsy on Monday to confirm the diagnosis, although we won’t get results until probably Thursday.

Right now, we have no idea if DisneyWorld is still in the works for Greg. We're supposed to leave Friday. He wants me to take the kids regardless. We'll re-assess as the week goes on.

7 comments:

Judy said...

Bombarding the Guy Upstairs.

Love you all,

Hugs,

Us

Andy said...

I don't want to say nothing. I want to say something that is helpful...... I've got a few ideas but not sure how to communicate them properly? So here goes...

Never give up hope.

Know that God loves us all just like we love our children.....

Unconditionally. To me that means: Well, it means alot. I'll be quiet now and hope that my family knows that I pray for them regularly.

Andy said...

I don't want to say nothing. I want to say something that is helpful...... I've got a few ideas but not sure how to communicate them properly? So here goes...

Never give up hope.

Know that God loves us all just like we love our children.....

Unconditionally. To me that means: Well, it means alot. I'll be quiet now and hope that my family knows that I pray for them regularly.

Andy said...

Woops sorry, don't know why that happened twice?

Francis said...

The situation is tough but we have faith. Let’s see what the new tests show and what the docs can do. You are in my prayers 110%. Hang in there!

Joan & Ivan said...

If we're sucessful, it's only taken 8 hours--more or less

Joan & Ivan said...

Ann, Greg, Eric & Matthew

Our prayers are with you.

Unfortunely, we're not as smart as 5th graders; at least they know blogging. But, if we finally suceeded, it's worth it. The user name came from ???, but it works for now.

Remember, we're real good at running chores. Don't hesitate. Ivan misses you at the workshop.

The deer is from our farm. I bet you thought it would be a horse!
Our love & friendship
Joan & Ivan