Thursday, May 21, 2009

We have a schedule

Greg got a call with the schedule earlier in the week, but this is the first chance I've had to blog.
Greg's admission date for the transplant is Sunday. From what I understand, that's pretty well carved in stone. Grandma Sadie & Auntie Skibby are enroute as I write this.

The original stem cell donor didn't work out for some reason (the 27 year old guy). So, we have a new donor, a 30 year old woman. (She's a 7/8 match as well). That's about all we are allowed to know for the first 2 years. The only additional fact they'll give us is that she is "from a European country." I'll leave the buxom blonde Scandinavian jokes to Ian. Because she's an international donor, Greg had to sign a whole bunch of extra consents just in case she has some rare tropical disease. Again, I'll leave the jokes to the commentors (commenters?).

So, I'm writing this from the outpatient treatment clinic in St. Louis, as Greg has to have his central line (fancy IV) placed at or before admission, and the vascular surgeons don't work weekends (and, this is a holiday weekend, too). Also, they "forgot" to order the final typing of Greg's blood needed before the transplant. Its just one crummy vial of blood that they could have drawn anytime in the last several inpatient and outpatient trips we've made up here, but no one ordered it. We're really getting used to being at the mercy of the health care system. Sigh.

The plan for today is plateletes (he needs to be at 50 before the line can be placed -- he hasn't been at 50 in over a year! This a.m. he was at 12), plus 2 units of whole blood, plus the line placement. They have assured us he will get to go home tonight, but I don't believe them anymore. I told Greg I will believe it when we're south of I-270, and not before. The ONE thing I've learned is to be skeptical. I packed for 2 days.

We drove up last night, arriving about 10 p.m. Eric is flying solo again, pizza money in hand, and Matthew stayed overnight at the babysitter's, Julie England. I can't thank her enough. I figured Matthew would be thrilled to have a sleepover with Emma, the love of his life, but alas, it was not to be. Yesterday morning he had a complete meltdown, saying he didn't want to stay, he was scared, etc. etc. etc. This, of course, triggered a meltdown on my part. That made Greg start to go. Eric took one look at all of us, started to tear up & bolted for the door, on his way to school. I spent the drive to Julie's trying to negotiate with little Clarence Darrow in the back seat. It was like trying to convince the hanging judge to grant clemency in a death penalty case. I used all my best arguments. Finally, after Julie assured him they had a hallway light, and I showed him that I packed his favorite night light, plus "Licky" the dog, he grudgingly condeded. All was right with the world. Or so I thought.

It appears everything was chugging along nicely until, at 7:30 last night, I made the critical mistake of calling him to say goodnight. The first half of the conversation was great. Then, all hell broke loose. He completely lost it. (Sorry Julie!) I promised I wouldn't call back to talk to him today. I just called & spoke to Julie's mom though, and seems he got over it pretty quickly, and was excited to stay at Emma's overnight. Kids are so fickle.

That's about all I can think of for now. We hope for a quiet 2 days with the kids, & still have a ton of stuff to do before we can leave for 3 to 4 weeks. The amount of coordination needed is amazing. I'm putting the finishing touches on the "Care & Feeding Manual -- 2009 Edition."

We're rapidly approaching zero hour. Greg, although scared, is amazingly calm, knowing this is all out of our hands. I alternate between that and being on the verge of a nervous breakdown. But, no time for that!

Please keep those prayers coming. Also, thanks for all the good wishes and help from everyone. I know I say it all the time, but we really couldn't be getting through this without all of you.

Love,

Greg & Ann

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sunday??? Wow that was fast!!!! Good Luck!! Tell Uncley Greg we love him and I know everything is crazy but I hope all goes well so we can see you guys healthy and soon!!! - Rebecca :)~

Joan & Ivan said...

Ivan says to tell Greg, "I'm keeping the beer cold." I can send prayers and a promise to keep your seat warm in the social work office.
Joan & Ivan

Francis said...

I wonder whether the transplants will make Greg talking with an accent! Let me know, if you need help for getting a foreign accent! All 4 of you are amazing. You are in our prayers and thoughts all the time.

Judy said...

I never pictured Matthew as the Clarence Darrow type, more Rambo with a little Spiderman thrown in...

Porr kid, poor you guys. Sigh. Soon you will be past all this c$#p and Greg will be on his way to a full recovery wanting to dye his hair blond and pluck his eyebrows when his hair comes back in. (I'd draw the line at letting him borrow your shoes though).

Hugs ALWAYS, prayers ALWAYS MORE,

Me and them

Anonymous said...

Okay...I have been reading quietly in the corner but praying heavy. I wish you all the best and know the rest of the plan is in "his" hands. I love you guys so much and know things will work out.

George said...

Dorothy had ruby slippers. Harry Potter has a wand. Frodo has a ring. All heroes have a potent talisman. Greg has a talking bear named Hockey Puck. When all else fails, squeeze the puck!

Anonymous said...

I just overcame more fear of blogging. I'm not sure if I'm a Now a twitter hater, or "tatter", but maybe in a few months I'll give it a try.

Deb and I are relieved to hear that you're scheduled and will be praying for you and Annie (and the kids).

Greg, the office is quiet and your office is ready.
We will have 2 new hires in the fall (Joplin and Springfield), and there's some serious talk about moving to Pummill Hall, 3rd floor, over the summer or fall.

I'll keep you posted! love, Susan and Deb