Saturday, November 8, 2008

Staying Put?

UPDATE 1:00 p.m.:
Well, I guess my last post just jinxed everything. The nurse came in about 15 minutes ago & said we ARE going to St. Louis after all, and he cannot go by private vehicle. They're arranging an ambulance as we speak. However, don't freak. He still feels fine -- almost completely asymptomatic. He's going to ask the guys if he can drive. As you can well imagine, I had to once again peel him off the ceiling when he got the news (and not just because they'll be transporting him during the Alabama / LSU game). But, the positive thing is that he'll have Dr. Vij in the driver's seat (figuratively speaking -- I don't think Vij is coming down here to pick him up personally). The infectious disease doc said that if it is CMV, which they're still not sure of, it could take weeks to clear up. However, not necessarily all that time in the hospital.

I'll keep you posted. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

----------------------------------

Well, as usual, we still don't know quite what's going on, but I'll give it a shot. (For "Our Story So Far" read yesterday's post).

Dr. Raju just left. She said that she still hasn't talked directly to Dr. Vij, but that she has spoken to his nurse. They were ready to take him, but they didn't have a bed. She hasn't heard from Barnes since yesterday. However, Greg's fever is gone, although his counts still are dropping. He came in with an ANC of 1200. It dropped to 700, then 300. So, he's neutropenic again. His white count is 1.3. That's definitely not good. (Oh, and he's developed a rash, which they can't figure out, either). But, since his fever is down, Dr. Raju is inclined to keep him here. However, IF Barnes calls & really wants him, she'll send him. How's that for definite? I guess right this minute, if I were a betting person, I would bet that we're staying here, at least for now. But, who knows? That could change within the hour as things go around here....

But, we still don't know why his counts keep dropping. Could be a virus called "CMV," could be from all the antibiotics, anti virals, anti fungals and anti everything else they're pumping into him. Could be something else. Again, no one knows. This is all very frustrating. Current plan is to stay here & hope his counts improve on their own. If they don't, they'll do a bone marrow biopsy on Monday (NOTHING happens on the weekends around here). While I have mixed feelings about staying here, at least they work on the weekends at Barnes. Even Raju acknowledged that we would get much quicker test results in St. Louis. But, we are not driving this bus, she is. So, we sit in the back & wait for people to tell us where to stand & what to do.

We're both stir crazy, cranky, & a little punch-drunk, but hanging in there. After this morning's rounds of anti-whatever, they promised to unhook him for a little while so he can put a mask on & take a walk around the unit.

So, thanks for reading. Will post more when I don't know anything again.

Later,

Us

4 comments:

Judy said...

Could you guys please get borning?

For those who don't know, I talked to Ann about 12:15 and they ARE heading up to Barnes. Greg does need to be in an ambulance but he gets to drive. (Do they get to stop for potty stops?-the drive-thru at Mickey D's?)

Hugs to you!

JS, MS, DS, LS, AKS and MMTDS

Are you SURE we can't use the log-in words in scrabble? I'm pretty sure 'prestr' is a word...

Ann said...

I just added an update. Oh, and his platelets (for you numbers junkies) are at 20. I guess that's really bad.

The Bobs said...

What do you mean Greg gets to drive? He's driving his own ambulance? What sort of craziness is this??

I have a book I want to send Greg. Should I send it to home or the hospital? Let me know. If it's the hospital, I need the address.

And, of course everyone would finish reading the whole blog, this is quite entertaining. I am sorry it is at Greg's expense. We will pray for a speedy recovery (not a speedy ambulance ride).
And Ann, brownies are not the only way you are a bitch! You must have had a good teacher!!

Love you all...I am not working Sunday so call if you want.
Love, db

The Bobs said...

PS
If you do urban camping...why won't you tent camp with your loving family??
db