Monday, November 10, 2008

A Man & A Plan

One thing we do know for sure this morning is that Our Hero is definitely in the right place -- these guys know what they're doing. We saw two doctors yesterday, one from the transplant team. He remembers Greg & these guys know how to deal with this (whatever it is).

Yesterday, the first doc came in (once again, one who looked like his mommy had to drive him to work – I must be getting old), and asked Greg, "So, what brought you here to the hospital?" (Shouldn’t HE know???). Without missing a beat, Greg responded, "The ambulance!" Doc responds: "OK, very good sir." Poor guy was humorless. But I guess its good that they hire them for their brains, not their sense of humor.

OK, here’s what I know now (I figure I’m running about 80 percent accurate in what I remember & understand after the docs leave):
Today’s (actually yesterday’s) diagnosis is definitely (maybe?) pneumonia (or "ramonia" as Matthew says). That’s right – we’re back to were we were when we started. They took a chest x-ray within about 20 minutes of his arrival here late Saturday night (they don’t fool around here). They say it shows pneumonia on the right side. However, its not PCP (!), and he’s responding well to the drugs. They also believe his low white count was due to all the meds they were pumping into him in Springfield, so they’ve backed off on a lot of them, concentrating on the ones that fight the pneumonia. When we got in on Saturday, the first doctor looked at his chart & said, "Wow, they really threw the kitchen sink at you!" I’m not sure they knew what to do with him at St. John’s. Oh, and the rash is MUCH worse, covering his whole body. That’s from the meds too. But it doesn’t itch too much, and he has Benadryl as needed if he wants it. Don’t go a hospital – It’ll just make you sick.

No one has officially said a thing about how long we’re supposed to be here, but Skibby is guessing that, if they confirm pneumonia today (they’re also going to run some other tests, but I forgot which ones), and if he keeps responding to the meds, they could actually send him home on oral antibiotics mid to late week. PLEASE keep your fingers crossed & pray that’s the case! Greg is telling people he’ll be back to work by the end of the week. I keep telling him he’s nuts. Even after he gets home, he’ll have some recovery time. But it shows he feels pretty good, and that’s important.

Oh, and we’re on C-Dif precautions once again. Our Loyal Readers will remember, from a previous espisode last season, how obsessed everyone is here with bladder & bowel habits. I think they’re even charting mine! Because he had some intestinal "looseness" (Gee, ya think it could be all the antibiotics?), and because he had C-Dif five years ago, everyone gets to wear the Haz-Mat suits whenever they come in & I have to wear one whenever I leave the room – even to go to the bathroom or to get a drink of water. Sigh. No one believes me when I tell them he doesn’t have it. I am a doctor after all. Maybe if I go sleep at a Holiday Inn Express?

Speaking of sleeping, I am definitely urban camping again. I ‘m staying in the room, and all I have is this chair that kind of folds out into a bed. Its like sleeping on a 2 foot by 5 foot piece of plywood. Its probably OK anyway, as there’s some rule about not allowing people to sleep around here anyway. I can’t use Greg’s bathroom or shower, for contamination purposes, and there’s no "family shower" on this floor. I went down to the transplant unit & got to wait in line. No towels, no soap. I grabbed some towels from a passing cart & used shampoo all over. It’s the little things.....Then I went down to the cafeteria & spent $6 on two Diet Pepsis and a bagel (cream cheese extra, of course).
But, the important thing is we have a plan, and he feels pretty good. He just got back from CT with a Cheshire Cat grin on his face. Seems he was waiting downstairs for transport, and there were a whole bunch of people waiting, so our patient Patient got impatient (imagine that!) and just got up & walked back to his room. At least he was wearing a mask. So, now there’s an abandoned wheel chair on the 3rd floor, and some poor slob who’s sole responsibility it is to get Greg back up here is wandering around looking for him. Greg is very proud of himself. I buzzed the nurse’s station.

Not much more for now. Yet another doctor just came in (his mommy had to drive him to work, too), and said the CT scan confirms "ramonia" and they are going to have a meeting & decide what to do with him. I’m sure there will be plenty of suggestions!

Thanks for reading!

Love,
Us

P.S. Oh, and in case you were wondering, the ambulance ride costs $3500. Sure hope Greg's insurance company still likes him!

10 comments:

Francis said...

Ann: You are amazing! Greg, I am still disappointed in you not able to talk them into letting you drive the ambulance. Did you at least make them stop in the middle of a four ways intersection, pause, and then make a 360°? After all, it was a $3500 ride. As to all the Drs. Doogie Howser, humor is often a rare gift! It was good talking to you yesterday; Hang in there. The “ramonia” will get “gooder”!
Francis

Judy said...

Now does the $3500 include gas? Does Ann get to charge the insurance company the same for the ride home?

Sounds like your second honeymoon is as blissful as the first! Glad to hear Mr. Gregarious is feisty enough to escape the cluches of the candy striper who's wheeling him around.

Hang in there guys, we're pulling for ya!

Schnecks and Schnecklings

Anonymous said...

Now i would be POed if Greg was my patient and he got up and left without me.

it was nice talking to you yesterday.

hang in there. And Greg remember, we have a compromise, you give me a little time and ill speed it up on my end!

And if Greg's insurance company has $3500 to throw around, maybe they could help me get through school faster and throw some of that money towards me!

Love you guys!
-Em

Anonymous said...

Let's all keep in mind that Greg's insurance company, beloved Missouri State University, is about to raise my premiums. Thanks a lot.

The Bobs said...

So....what do you tip on a $3500 ride?

Anonymous said...

You could have spent allot less money and done a few laps at Talledegah at 190 mph?

But seriously, I would have drove you for $3450.........

Did they let you beep the horn?

Judy said...

You know, after talking with you about the diet and working tonight with one kid, lactose free and another kid wheat and peanut free, I could very well be a better dietician than Greg has! Sheesh! Maybe I could bill his insurance company!?!?!?!

JS

Anonymous said...

At that price, you might as well bill the entire ambulance to your insurance company. I'm sure Matthew would get a kick out of riding around in it!

Glad to hear things are getting better..hang in there!

Anonymous said...

p.s. mom, check your profile on here, I have a feeling someone may have hacked into it...lol

"About Me
I am PRINCESS Debbie or as my three very wonderdul daughters would say, "Deb". My favorite daughter would have to be my youngest, Kacey. She is oh so amazing and perfect."

Anonymous said...

I'm eligible to donate platlets again in the begining of December and I will. As I have lots of them I encourage all (especially those that have Koszuth Blood in their veins) to be checked. It's a 2 hr. process and they let you watch a movie. As I understand it Platlets only have a 1-2 day shelf life. Anyway I feel very blessed that I can help people that need them just wish I didn't know one.

andy