Friday, December 18, 2009

Theory du Jour

Update at6:15 -- Well THAT theory didn't last long. One of the many docs just came in and said they aren't going to start the immuno suppressant drug because one of his cultures grew CMV, which he was negative for before, and has been treated phrophylaxisly (if that's a real word). So, we're back to a virus, and they're going to resume gancyclovir, which they were giving him before, but discontinued a few days ago. Sigh.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers. I read the comments daily, and hope and pray that I will be able to read them to Greg soon. Its great to know so many are out there pulling for him.

Greg stayed fairly stable through the night, and remains so today. Water retention is an issue, and they've got him on a lassix drip (no pun intended), and an insulin drip. We got the sugars under control yesterday, but they resumed the tube feeding today, so that's all fubar again.

Well, the latest theory is that this is not an infectious pneumonia at all, but rather an "idopathic pneumonia." These guys in the medical ICU are working closely with the BMT team downstairs, and basically what they think is this could be a delayed reaction to the chemo and the transplant he had in May & June. Under questioning, they admitted that they usually see this within the first 100 days. I said, "So, this is a longshot?" and they admitted it is. But, nothing from any cultures has grown anything, so they're at a loss. The docs are conferring as write this (if I walk by the nurse's station slowly enough, sometimes I can eavesdrop) trying to decide if they want to start a new drug called etanercept (or Enbrel). Its an immunosuppresant, so its not without risk to someone with his screwed up immune system. They're trying to decide if the risks outweigh the benefits. My guess is they're probably going to go ahead and try it. Skibby asked me how long after they start it should they expect to see results? I said, "Boy, that would have been a really good question to ask." I'll try to remember to ask that tomorrow.

I'm a wee bit sleep deprived right now. X-ray came in at 12:30 last night and kicked me out, then at 3:30 a.m. the nurses kicked me out because they decided to give him a bath. Seriously. I'm hoping for a quieter night tonight.

We're going to have a busy weekend, as family is coming. We decided to let Matthew come to St. Louis, although he won't be allowed to see Greg. That's OK, I don't want him to see his dad like this anyway--a little too scary for a 6 year old (its scary enough for us adults). But, this way he can at least see me, and I can see him. It will be good for both of us. Eric is coming too, along with my sisters, two nieces, Tom, Skibby, and Sadie. So, with all that company, I may not get to post much. No news pretty much means he's the same, and I'll post again when I have a chance.

Thanks to all.


Greg & Ann


Deb said...


I left a message. At work I cannot get into the blog to respond. Hang in there. If you need anything (I mean anything), please call on us. Susan and I send our prayers and support.


Anonymous said...

((((((( XXXX ))))))))

A BIG hug from us! Again, our thoughts and prayers are with Greg, you and yours. So glad to hear you have family headed your way to share with you and lend some additional support.

Bob and Ellen

Judy said...



See ya,


Anonymous said...

The party last night went great, M had a GREAT time, we took lots of pictures and video of everyone singing happy birthday and M blowing out the candles. Hope to see you and Greg back home soon.
The Coalsons

Francis said...

Always in our thoughts and prayers.

Anthony and Becky Solari said...

Just wanting you to know that we are holding you close in our thoughts and prayers right now! Keep the faith, God will see you through this. Blessings to your whole family.
The Solari family