Saturday, September 5, 2009

Waiting

I know a lot of you are waiting for updates, but there's not a whole lot to report. We continue to wait for the bowel obstruction to clear. It just a waiting game. They've removed a LOT of yuk from his system through the tube in his nose (I lost count at about 8 liters as of yesterday). The way they explained it to me is that your intestines are constantly moving around, and Greg got a "kink" in his -- like getting a kink in the garden hose. Through rest, fluids and relieving the pressure in his system via the nose thing, they hope his will un-kink. That's as medically accurate as I can get.

He's got a couple of other problems, though, too. He's got pneumonia, and his blood cultures grew 2 bugs. Don't ask me what they were -- I had never heard of them before. However, he's covered with antibiotics, and now they know which ones he specifically needs. He was up all night with a HORRIBLE cough, and is finally resting now, after they gave him some robitussin. The pneumonia and bowel obstruction both appear to be linked to the GVHD. The blood infections are due to a really low white count.


They're still telling me he's pretty sick, but slowly getting better. I don't think I've seen him this sick in a long time. Hopefully the bowel thing will clear in the next day or so. He's starting to feel a little hungry, which is a good sign, although he still can't have anything to eat. I'm hoping he feels well enough to watch Alabama beat Va Tech later today (Sorry, Tom).

Special thanks to the Brincks for keeping Matthew and keeping him busy. I promise he eventually does stop talking -- however, its usually while he's sleeping. I just hope he's not telling you too many family secrets.

Eric seems to be too busy to worry, which is probably good. This is his last weekend of work, and the swim team is in full swing. He had a meet last night, and was pleased with his performance. Hockey should be starting soon.

Thanks to all for the prayers. Once again, they're the best thing you can do at this point. I promise I'll post when something happens, but no news means pretty much no news. Just watching and waiting.......

Love,

Greg & Ann

3 comments:

Judy said...

Wish we were there, no really we do, then maybe we could give you a bit of a break.

We are also SO thankful for all those who can help you guys out in Nixa, believe me when I say "Thanks!" from our families who are just so far away.

And lastly, we always KNEW Greg was full of s&*^ !!!!! ~and we're not even medical professionals...

;-P

Francis said...

Greg, Hope that you could get that knot out of your stomach, feel better, and watch a good game tonight. Roll Tide!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ann and Greg. Praying for you...just want Greg to get better!

Love ya!
Sally