Thursday, September 3, 2009

Aerial View

If its Thursday, it must be St. Louis. Yes, we're back at our home-away-from-home. The Cox oncologist decided that, since he doesn't know squat about BMT transplants, Greg should go to Barnes. I wasn't about to argue. Greg's blood sugars continued to be all over the place yesterday, so, since he was so unstable, they decided to fly him. Some people will do anything for a helicopter ride. Somehow, I think it would have been easier if he'd just gone to Branson and done the one there -- better scenery, too. I think the ride was pretty unventful. The most I could get out of Greg was that he asked the guys, "How long until we take off?" and the reply was, "We've been in the air 40 minutes." After they arrived, they had to "unload" him at Barnes ER, and had to put him on an ambulance to drive him the 2 city blocks over to the BMT unit, even though every building here is connected by tunnels and walkways. Our efficient health-care system.

In addition to the bowel obstruction, which hasn't cleared yet, we now appear to be adding pneumonia (or "rammonia" as Matthew says) to the mix. He had developed a cough over the weekend, and its gotten worse. The chest X-ray yesterday showed "low capacity" which, as I understand it, is an indicator. The one they took at 2 a.m. showed something, too, and when they listen, they can hear fluid. Also, his skin is very brittle, and the straps from the gurney he took his ride on actually cut his skin. I believe all this together points to GVHD, although I haven't yet seen a doctor to confirm this. (Because I was driving, I got here much later than Greg & didn't see the admitting doc. The one this a.m. was a resident.) Our attending physician this month is Dr. DiPersio. Loyal readers will recall that he knows everything (that's what HE says, anyway) and he only seems to come around after dark. This time I'm really going to try to see if he has a reflection in the mirror.

Overall, I think Our Hero is pretty sick this time, but, once again, he's right where he needs to be. They're hanging all the right drugs: anti-virals, antibiotics and anti-FUNGALS(!). (Fungus is evil). He's gotten 2 units of blood (reds were low) and he got 2 units of platelets at Cox. Dr. Vij warned us that stuff like this could happen anytime. MUD transplant patients can take a turn for the worse very quickly, and with little or no warning. But, I can rest better here, just knowing they're in charge. The doctor team is doing rounds right now, and my guess is that today's plan will just be to continue the drugs, and probably run more tests. I probably won't know any more than I do right now for a while. I'll re-post when I do.

Until then, please keep praying. Thanks to you all for all your support.

Love,

Greg & Ann

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, just for the record, the helicopter rides in Branson, not a good idea - consider who you're "pilot" might be -- think about it! Plus they don't always stay up in the air, like they're supposed to.

Tell Greg that if he wanted another welcome home party in his honor, all he had to do was ask! We'd throw him one a day! We are thinking of you and saying lots of prayers.

Kim

Backroads by Lynda the blog said...

Hi Greg~ Just thinking about you and wanted to check in and see how things are going. Sounds like you have had a wild ride today. Keeping you in prayers. Nurse Lynda (4K)

Francis said...

Do you think they know the difference, if I pretend to be Shoji Tabuchi and sign autograph for the helicopter folks? I have to give Cox people the credit for admitting that they don’t know enough instead of insisting doing unnecessary testing like those docs in Kansas City?! You are in our prays.