Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thursday, January 22, 1009

Well, we got the long-awaited results from St. Louis, and, unfortunately, its not very good news.

The biopsy confirms what Dr. Vij has long suspected -- Greg does have Myelodisplastic Syndrome (if you're new here it means his bone marrow is so damaged it doesn't produce enough red cells, white cells or platelets). Its sometimes called "Pre-Leukemia."

In addition, his Multiple Myeloma is now officially out of remission. He had 32 percent cancer cells in this last biopsy. Back in September he was at 18 percent. Twenty percent is the cutoff for "partial remission." So, the cancer is back, too.

And, to top all that off, neither Tom nor Skibby was a match to be a donor for an allogeneic stem cell transplant. So, now they're searching for an unrelated donor match, and IF they find one (huge "if"), the transplant itself will be very risky. If you're interesting in becoming a donor, here's the web site: http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html I signed up last year, but haven't been called by anyone to do it. There's a fee involved, and also an age limit (I think 55 or 60). And, I don't want to raise a lot of false hope for people, either. He probably needs some guy named Stanislaus over in Brataslava to sign up in order to find a match.

Greg had his labs drawn locally yesterday (he goes once a week now), and those numbers, while low, were stable, and for the second week in a row he didn't require a transfusion. So, a little good news.

Now its time to pray they find a match. Dr. Vij still says he's in no hurry to do a transplant. We're just watching and waiting.

This sucks.

5 comments:

Francis said...

While the news from St. Louis is not very good, I am glad to know that Greg’s situation has been stable. Out of curiosity, I Googled the Stanislaus-Bratislava connection and found this Polish Catholic priest at the St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish http://www.st-stanislaus.org/OurStaff.htm who had worked in Bratislava! Don’t know if he can help?!

Greg is always in our prayers and now we also include the potential donors!

Francis

Judy said...

Love you guys.

Me, Him, Big Kid, Medium Kid, and Little Kid. Satelight Doggie too

Judy said...

I'm now officially waiting to receive my donor matching kit. It was SO easy to do this online. I can also understand the fee and I don't mind. I only feel bad as I should have done it long ago.

Judy
~it would really be a weird co-inky dink if Greg could eventually get my marrow. Just think, he would probably then LOVE garlic and dogs and be able to sing ALL the verses of "Melekalikimaka"

Anonymous said...

Anne, I just want you to know that I follow your blogs and Judy keeps me updated. You guys are in my prayers. Good Luck with the donor thing, I really hope God provides you with a donor. Kathy J

Andy said...

Greg and family, I pray for you all the time. andy